Recipe courtesy of Andina Restaurant in Portland, Oregon
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 24 quarts
* The recipe makes a large amount but could be easily reduced by half or three-quarters.
8 15-ounce bags of purple corn (available from Amazonas)
8 green apples
2 pineapples, peeled and cored
10 cinnamon sticks
20 whole cloves
15 cups sugar, or to taste
1 quart freshly squeezed key lime juice, or to taste
1. Wash, peel, and cut fruit into pieces. Reserve the skins
2. Cut the corn kernels from the cob.
3. Combine the fruit, fruit skins, corn kernels, and spices in a large pot with enough water to cover. Cook for approximately one hour, or until the water takes on a deep purple color and is infused with flavors.
4. Strain and let the liquid cool. Add sugar and lime juice to taste
The corn can be purchased from Amazonas Imports
Source for Maiz Morado (Purple Corn):
Amazonas Imports, Inc.
10848 Cantara Street
Sun Valley, CA 91352