Recipe courtesy of The Restaurant at Wente Vineyards
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Although the Wente Vineyards Riesling is used in the recipe, it also pairs beautifully with Morning Fog Chardonnay. Enjoy!
2 heads savoy cabbage, sliced
2 onions, sliced
2 apples, grated
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup Wente Vineyards Riverbank Riesling
1 russet potato, grated
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground clove
2 tbl créme fraiche
1 tbl butter
½ bunch fresh chives, chopped for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sauté onions in a large oven proof pot until sweated through (when moisture is released) and softened. Add grated potato and sauté until soft. If you do not have an oven proof pot, use a large standard cooking pot and continue the cooking process on a medium-low stove until all ingredients are soft and cooked through.
3. Heat the spices in a separate pan until aromatic, then add to sauté pan with onions and potato. Add all remaining ingredients and season to taste.
4. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in the oven at 350 degrees.
5. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
6. Finish with desired amount of salt, créme fraiche, butter and chopped chives.
Chef’s Tip: The grated potatoes and apples “sweat” out their moisture, giving the cabbage an extra creaminess to the finished product. Pair this side with pork, poultry or duck. Don’t forget the wine!