Recipe courtesy of The Restaurant at Wente Vineyards
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
For the Pumpkin
2 lb Galeux d’Eysines Pumpkin (or other sugar pumpkin) cut into rough ¾” cubes
1Tbl Olive Oil
For the Pears
2ea Peeled Hosui Pears
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Walnut- Champagne Vinegar
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tbl Kosher Salt
1Tsp Whole Allspice
½ Vanilla Bean
1Tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
For the Vinaigrette
½ Cup Reserved pickling liquid from the pears
1 ½ Cups Canola Oil Blend
1 Minced Small Shallot
1/2tsp Chopped fresh thyme
For the Salad
1 Cup Wild arugula
3 Oz Hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
1. Toss the pumpkin in oil and season liberally with salt and black pepper.
2. Place pumpkin on a lined baking sheet and roast at 350 degrees until the pumpkin yields to a toothpick, then remove the pumpkin from the oven and cool in refrigerator.
3. Combine the vinegars, sugar, salt and spices in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
4. Place the pears in a non-metal container and pour the pickling liquid over them.
5. Let stand for 10 minutes then remove the pears (saving ½ cup of the liquid) ,cut them into small slices and cool under refrigeration.
6. Place the reserved pickling liquid in a metal mixing bowl with the shallot. Slowly whisk in the oil and season to taste with salt.
7. In a salad bowl combine the cooled squash, pickled pears, arugula and hazelnuts. Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and season with salt and black pepper