recipes adapted from Boston.com; photo courtesy here
Prep Time: 10 min
Inactive Prep Time: 2 hr 35 min
Cook Time: 25 min
- 12 ounces Guinness stout
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 6 egg yolks
- Dark Chocolate Sauce, recipe follows
- In a large saucepan, simmer the Guinness until reduced by 3/4 in volume, about 8 minutes
- Combine the cream, milk, and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and add the vanilla bean halves. Add the remaining heavy cream.
- Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added.
- Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the Guinness reduction. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.
Dark Chocolate Sauce:
- 1/2 cup dark bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- Place chocolate , salt, and espresso powder in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream just to a simmer then pour the heavy cream over the chocolate pieces. Let rest for 1 minute before whisking. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted
- Let stand until cool but still pourable. Serve over Guinness ice cream.