Recipe courtesy of Scuba Chef
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Inactive Cook time: 2 hour
Total time: 3 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
4-6 oz fresh red sea urchin roe (each live urchin will yield about an ounce of roe)
4 oz linguine
6 oz heavy cream
6 tablespoon softened unsalted butter
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
3 sprigs fresh thyme for garnish
shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
2 oz caviar of choice, Optional
1) Using a folder towel or glove, hold the urchin with the flatter side and tube feet facing up. Carefully cut around the outer perimeter of the “circle” formed by the feet; remove the hard parts of the feet and mouth. Gently scrape away the black portion of the innards to reveal the five separated sections of bright orange roe. Remove the roe with as spoon.
2) In a mixing bowl combine the roe and softened butter, and blend well with a fork. Cover and refrigerate for about two hours.
3) Prepare linguine as directed. Drain and set aside.
4) In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for about two minutes. Add the heavy cream and simmer, stirring occasionally until it reduces by half. Salt and pepper lightly, and simmer for another five minutes. Reduce heat to low and add chilled urchin butter one tablespoon at a time while stirring gently. Add cooked pasta and cook over medium heat for several minutes, mixing well to coat pasta completely.
5) Garnish with fresh thyme and shaved Parmesan cheese and top with a spoonful of caviar. Enjoy immediately.