Ballpark Pigs in a Blanket
Makes 24 pieces
- 2 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 hot dogs
1. MAKE DOUGH Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Pulse 2 cups flour, shortening, baking powder, salt, and cayenne in food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to large bowl. Combine relish, mustard, and cream, then add to flour mixture. On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth, 8 to 10 times.
2. SHAPE AND FREEZE Roll dough into 15- by 10-inch rectangle. Brush dough with egg and cut into six 5-inch squares. Place remaining flour in shallow dish. Pat hot dogs dry with paper towels and coat with flour, shaking off excess. Arrange 1 hot dog in center of each dough square. Roll dough around hot dog and pinch seam closed. Cut each hot dog into 4 rounds and place on prepared baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Transfer to zipper-lock bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
3. BAKE Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange rounds, seam side down, on parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.
MAKE YOUR OWN LITTLE PIGGIES
Bypass the commercial crescent roll dough. Three easy steps and 20 minutes are all that stand between you and homemade Pigs in a Blanket.
1. Brush the dough with egg wash to fuse the pastry and hot dog together.
2. After dusting the hot dogs with flour, wrap each with dough and seal.
3. Cut wrapped hot dogs into quarters and freeze. Bake at your convenience.