Recipe courtesy of June/July 2007 Cook’s Country
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
Preparing guacamole ahead of time helps the flavors marry, but it should not be prepared more than 1 day in advance. To prevent the dip from turning brown, press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2 thinly sliced scallions, green and white parts separated
- 1 minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- 3 avocados, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine white parts of scallions, jalapeño, garlic, and lime juice in large bowl. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add two-thirds of the avocado to bowl with jalapeño mixture and mash with potato masher until smooth. Gently fold remaining avocado into mashed avocado mixture. Gently stir in lime zest, green parts of scallions, and cilantro. Season with salt. Serve.