Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Total time: 105 minutes
Yield: 8 serving
- 1 750 ml. bottle medium-bodied, not-too-dry red wine
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1 scant tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 small fistful of green cardamom pods
- 1 large fistful of dried bitter-orange peel (fresh orange peel works fine, too)
- 1 chunk of peeled, fresh ginger (half grated, half sliced).
1. Bring mixture to a boil, lower heat instantly and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Strain liquid through a sieve into a bowl, tie solid ingredients in cheesecloth and return all to the pot.
3. Add 4 or 5 more bottles of wine, and let steep, preferably overnight. When reheating, never let the mixture come to a boil. (You can add brown sugar or vodka to taste.)
4. Garnish with blanched almonds and black raisins. They are delicious when fished out.